Travelling or returning to New Zealand
If you're planning on flying to Aotearoa, New Zealand, there are a few things you need to check before you book.
Last updated 21 June 2022, 11:27am
For the latest travel advice, please visit the New Zealand Government website.
These travel requirements may change before you travel, so be sure to check regularly. Failure to meet local requirements may result in denied boarding.
Entry & transit
- Check you meet entry and health requirements for travel to New Zealand.
- You will need a valid passport.
- If you are not a New Zealand or Australian citizen, you may need to apply for a visa or a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) for traveling to or transiting New Zealand.
- Don't forget to check travel requirements for any countries/regions you will pass through in transit and on your return journey.
COVID-19 vaccination requirements
- If you are aged 17 years and over and are not a New Zealand citizen, resident or Australian citizen who lives in New Zealand, you must provide proof that you've met vaccination requirements to enter or transit New Zealand.
- If you are transiting New Zealand to another international destination, you do not need to provide proof of vaccination.
- Travellers no longer require a pre-departure test to enter New Zealand.
- If you are transiting New Zealand, make sure you check your final destination's entry requirements to confirm if you need a pre-departure test.
- It's important that you do not travel if you are sick. If you have COVID-19 symptoms, you will be asked to present either a negative COVID-19 test or a certificate from a health professional stating that you are unlikely to have COVID-19.
New Zealand Traveller Declaration (NZTD)
- If New Zealand is your final destination, you must complete a New Zealand Traveller Declaration (NZTD) before departure.
- You can start your NZTD up to 28 days before you fly and return to complete it once you have your COVID-19 pre-departure test results.
- After you have successfully completed your NZTD, you'll receive a Traveller Pass to present at check-in. You'll also be asked to show your Traveller Pass upon arrival in New Zealand.
- If you have any questions or are having difficulty completing your NZTD, check the New Zealand Government website for further advice or reach out to the NZTD Contact Centre for assistance.