Credit and refund information
With the introduction of our new NZ domestic seat options, you have more options for travel flexibility in these uncertain times. If you have a flexichange (previously flexitime) or flexirefund (previously flexidate) ticket, you have the flexibility to change your flight with no change fees. Flexirefund is also fully refundable.
Voluntary opt-in for credit is not available for New Zealand domestic flights.
You can still opt-in for credit if you have an international flight due to depart before 30 June 2022.
Validity for using credits has been extended.
What is a credit?
A credit is a dollar value retained for you to use to book future travel. Think of it as holding an electronic voucher to spend when you're ready. You may be offered the option of a credit if your flight is cancelled or if your plans change.
You can use your credit to book flights, to purchase seats, bags or upgrade an existing booking. If your next booking is of a higher value than your credit, you may pay the remainder using a credit card.
Your credit includes any of the following which apply to your booking:
- the original fare,
- all taxes paid (including GST),
- any Air New Zealand flight products, e.g. Seats to Suit, Economy Skycouch, Seat Select, extra bag(s).
- any unaccompanied minor fees, credit card surcharges, or booking fees.
One credit is issued per booking. If you have multiple eligible bookings, you will be issued multiple credits.
For credit received before 31 January 2022
- Redeem your credit by booking new flights by 31 January 2023. Any unused credits will expire after 11:59pm, 31 January 2023
- Complete travel before 31 December 2023
- For example, if you received a credit on 20 June 2021 you would have until 31 January 2023 to book a flight, with travel to be completed by 31 December 2023
For credit received from 1 February 2022
- Redeem your credit by booking new flights within 12 months of the date you received your credit
- Travel within 12 months from the time you made the booking
- For example, if you received a credit on 5 February 2022 you would have until 5 February 2023 to book a flight, at which time you can book up to 12 months in advance. All travel must be completed within a year from the date of booking.
How do I view my credit balance?
To view and use your credit, you'll need your booking reference and the email address from your original booking.
- Online using our online credit tool
- Ask our chat bot, Oscar "What is my credit balance?"
How do I use my credit?
- Where? You can use your credit on any Air New Zealand domestic or international flights, regardless of your original ticket type. You can use an existing credit to pay for a flight change, purchase seats, bags or upgrade an existing booking.
- Who? You can use your credit to book flights or to make changes to an existing booking including flight changes, purchasing seats, bags or upgrades for yourself or someone else.
- How? Use up to 2 credits to make a new flight booking online. If you want to use more than 2 credits, call our Contact Centre. If you would like to use your credit to make changes to an existing booking, such as adding a bag, only 1 credit may be used within a transaction. If your purchase is more than your credit value, any additional payment must be made using a credit card (no credit card fee will be charged).
See the full credit terms and conditions for more information.
Frequently asked questions - Credit
What options do I have to change or cancel my New Zealand Domestic booking after 31 October 2021?
Will I be eligible for credit if my flight is cancelled due to alert level or border restrictions?
My credit is not enough to cover the new flights I want to book - what are my options?
I've booked through a travel agent, how do I receive my credit?
Do I need to spend my credit all at once?
I can't access the credit tool - how can I use my credit?
I received an email saying my credit has been redeemed, but I have no knowledge of this. What do I do?
What can I use my credit for? Can I use it to book a hotel?
Fares are only refundable under the following criteria:
- It was specified in the original conditions of your fare, or
- Local legislation requires a refund when a flight is cancelled by the operating airline, or
- The request qualifies for the Air New Zealand COVID-19 compassionate refund policy.
Refundable fare types
You can find the full details of your fare type on our fare rules page. Your fare type is noted on the receipt page of your E-ticket.
Relevant local legislation
Below are some examples of local legislation that may apply to an eligible flight cancelled by Air New Zealand:
- US refund laws apply to flights to/from/within and via the US, regardless of country of residence or purchase.
- Regulation 261/2004 applies to flights departing the EU or UK on any airline, and flights arriving in the EU or UK operated by a European Carrier. The regulation gives passengers the option of requesting a refund, regardless of the country of residence or purchase.
- A refund may also be available in the following jurisdictions, provided that the passenger is resident in the applicable jurisdiction and the travel commences or ends in that jurisdiction:
- South Korea
- Mainland China
Frequently asked questions - Refunds
Can my credit or new ticket be refunded?
Can I use credit to book a refundable fare?
I don't want to travel anymore, what are my options?
Frequently asked questions - Airpoints
I'm logged into my Airpoints account but I can't see my credits - where are they?
Can I transfer other credits to Airpoints Dollars?
I paid for my booking with Airpoints Dollars - what happens now?
Will I earn Airpoints Dollars and Status points when I use my credit?
Other travel products
Our partners provide other travel products both within our online booking service and via standalone websites. While we can't give you a credit on their behalf, you can contact them directly and they will be able to offer support based on their individual policies, as well as the conditions of your booking.
You can find more information about how our travel partners are assisting with cancelled travel plans below: